What is Arivitas?
Arivitas is an acronym, taken from Latin:
Aridus = Arid, Dry, Desert
Civitas = Community, Gathering
Vita = Life, Health
Arivitas Strategies is a talented and experienced team of professionals, brought together to develop innovative strategic plans, programs, and public policy that results in the creation of Economically Prosperous, Environmentally Healthy, and Socially Vibrant Communities in the Western United States.
Arivitas Strategies is a multi-disciplinary firm engaged in Strategic Urban & Community Planning, Economic Development, Environmental Compliance, and Project Management. Our consultancy provides high-quality and highvalue professional services to both the private and public sectors. Originally founded in 2010 as Village-Center Consultants, Arivitas Strategies is the result of a re-branding effort to better serve our clients and to define the brand. The principals of Arivitas Strategies bring nearly 100 years of combined experience to the community and economic development, affordable housing, and environmental services industries in the Desert Southwest. In 2020 and beyond, Arivitas expects to continue to grow, develop strategic partnerships, and establish additional offices in Wyoming, Arizona, Idaho, and Utah to serve our clients throughout the West.
Our services fall into several categories including, but not limited to:
- Strategic Planning for Healthy, Vibrant, & Prosperous Communities
- Revitalization, Redevelopment, and Adaptive Reuse Plans
- Entitlement Services
- Due Diligence Studies including Opportunities & Constraints
- Environmental (CEQA) documentation
- Communications, Public Outreach, and Social Media Management
- Public Policy Research, Development, and Creation
- Sustainable Planning & Design based on the Triple Bottom Line
- Municipal Staff Support
- Peer Review Services
Arivitas Strategies approaches every project with an attitude of "It Can Be Done." Our goal is always to focus on well-designed solutions that respond to our clients' specific needs in a cost-effective manner.
Our Logo reflects our belief in the individual creativity, positive outlook, and possibility thinking, inherent in the American People; especially those residing in the Great American West. In 1984, President Ronald Reagan proudly declared, “It’s Morning in America” and regularly referred to the United States as a “Shining City on a Hill.” We believe that with every sunrise comes new opportunities. The sun in our logo is a reminder of our guiding principles, just beginning to rise above the mountains, and giving light to a new day. The mountains of the west gradually slope down to our great southwestern deserts, and everything shines in the glow of the pre-dawn. Soon, the sun will shine on the western United States, and with the sun, the opportunity for prosperity to reign from the Great Mississippi River to the Blue Pacific Ocean.
To create Sustainable Lifestyles and Communities by providing services that develop skills, improve lives, and empower individuals to act upon the Three Pillars of Sustainability:
- Economic Prosperity,
- Social responsibility,
- Environmental stewardship.
By continuously being of service to the communities where we live, work, shop, and play, we will achieve our vision of creating a healthier, happier, and more prosperous tomorrow for individuals, families, and communities.
- Unleash the creative potential and innovative ideas of the individual;
- Create Prosperity through Entrepreneurship and Business Ownership to support the economic growth and stability of individuals, families, and communities;
- Manage Fiscal, Human, and Natural Resources effectively, efficiently, and responsibly;
- Provide Innovative Solutions to Economic, Social, and Environmental challenges including programs for Revisioning, Renewal, Revitalization, and Adaptive Reuse;
- Be involved and engaged in the creation of public policy that provides real world, attainable solutions;
- Provide leadership and be a positive force for the People and Communities in which we all live, work, and play;
- Develop Vibrant, Resilient Communities that support the health, happiness, and prosperity of the residents
Our Ethical Code and Guiding Principles
We live, work, and create relationships based upon an adaptation of The Code of the West:
- Live Each Day with Courage; Take a Risk, Speak Out
- Take Pride in Your Work
- Always Finish what You Start
- Do What Needs to Be Done to Achieve the Vision
- Be Tough, But Fair; Maintain High Standards
- When You Make a Promise, Keep It
- Ride for the Brand; Be Loyal and Trustworthy
- Talk Less and Say More; Let Your Work Speak for You
- Remember that Some Things Aren’t for Sale
- Know Where to Draw the Line
Our Western Values
These are the Values that we share:
- Personal and Professional Integrity
- Personal Responsibility
- Authenticity (Sincerity)
- Openness to New Ideas
- Respect for each other and for our shared history
Kevin L. Maevers, AICP, CNU, RE
President / Director of Community & Economic Development
To every client and to every project, Kevin brings over thirty years of experience in multi‐disciplined professional environments (land use planning, economic development, affordable housing, civil engineering, land surveying, environmental assessment). He has overlapped his technical expertise with over two decades of public service and a decade of university‐level teaching. These diverse experiences provide Kevin with the ability to bring a unique perspective to the clients and communities that he serves.
His geographic specialty areas are the communities and the unique environment of the deserts and mountains of the Western United States. To further his demonstrate his commitment to excellence, a decade ago, Kevin began sharing his leadership skills and business knowledge with the next generation of business leaders, as an Associate Faculty Member and Business Department Chair for the University of Phoenix. During his tenure Kevin taught subjects ranging from environmental science, to technical writing, to sustainable business & management. This experience adds and additional level of expertise that enhances his ability to coach, mentor, and train young professionals and aspiring entrepreneurs.